We make a juice two or three times a week, particularly when I feel like I need a light breakfast or an energy boost if I have over-indulged at dinner the night before.
GG is the juicer in our house and in our favourite he uses the following ingredients:
- 2 apples or half a pineapple (or a mixture of both)
- 4/5 stalks of celery
- Half a cucumber
- One thumb-size piece of root ginger
- Half a bag of spinach
- Half a lime (juice, not rind)
The ginger and lime give it a kick and even better flavour
This is a good juice to start with if you are new to this game as it’s extremely palatable.
- Wash the vegetables and fruit first
- If short of time in the morning, prepare the ingredients the night before and store in a container in the fridge
- Add some pulp back into the juice if you want a little extra fibre.
You can add the pulp from the celery, cucumber and spinach to soups, so use them first before juicing the other ingredients.
There are a number of juicing machines available on the market, some more expensive than others. Ours, now about four years old, is called ‘Green Valu’. We have had no problems with it and when we had to replace a broken part, the company sent out a replacement free of charge!
Among the benefits are:
- Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients
- Helps boost your immune system
- Quick and simple way to get your 5-a-day in one go