Now, more than ever, we need to make sure that we have strong immune systems. There has been plenty of evidence to suggest that supplementation with Vitamin C and Vitamin D has an impact on keeping us healthy and in fighting Covid-19. Regular readers know that I have been championing Vitamin D for years. Check out my post on it HERE.
But I also take Vitamin C in one form or another. I supplement if I am under the weather or feel that I have a cold coming on.
I was sent some products from Irish-owned company Somega and can highly recommend all their products. They are a relatively new business founded by nutritionists and food scientists and their Omega-3 is delicious and perfect too for children who are fussy eaters like my oldest grandson.
SO WHAT IS VITAMIN C?
The body does not produce or store Vitamin C. So people need to get this nutrient from their diet or through supplements every day. It dissolves in water, and any excess leaves the body in urine.
It is found in fruits and vegetables such as oranges, kiwifruit, peppers and broccoli. According to the HSE, eating five portions of fruit and vegetables a day should be enough to keep you healthy. One of the main reasons people take Vitamin C supplements is to boost their immunity as Vitamin C is involved in many parts of the immune system.
DO WE NEED TO SUPPLEMENT?
The recommended daily intake for Vitamin C is approximately 100 mg. Taking a supplement of 1,000mg is unlikely to cause any harm, according to the HSE. Most of us should get enough from our diet. But remember the body does not store it. I first started taking Vitamin C among other supplements and treatments when I was recovering from adrenal fatigue/ME. You can read how I recovered HERE.
So, yes, I am a huge believer in supplementation for me.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SUPPLEMENTATION?
- It is a powerful antioxidant that boosts your immune system and protects your cells from free radicals. It encourages the production of white blood cells. Vitamin C helps encourage the production of white blood cells known as lymphocytes and phagocytes, which help protect the body against infection. By increasing your blood antioxidant levels, it could help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease.
- Many studies suggest that Vitamin C may help in lowering blood pressure.
- It may help prevent gout attacks.
- Some people (including me) believe it can prevent or lessen the severity and length of a cold.
- It is possible that it also has a role to play in helping protect against dementia.
- Vitamin C supplements help improve the absorption of iron from your diet. Vitamin C assists in converting iron that is poorly absorbed, such as plant-based sources of iron, into a form that is easier to absorb, particularly important if you are vegetarian..
- Vitamin C is an essential part of the skin’s defence system. It’s actively transported to the skin, where it can act as an antioxidant and help strengthen the skin’s barriers. So think collagen formation. And, of course, this impacts bones and teeth too.
- It may significantly reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol. I only learned this while I was researching for this post.
- It may help improve the healing of wounds.
- One STUDY shows that taking Vitamin C could lower a person’s risk of developing advanced macular degeneration by about 25% and may also help prevent cataracts.
So in other words, it is a pretty important vitamin to help with energy and in fighting fatigue.
There are many forms of Vitamin C, but there is no argument that Liposomal Vitamin C is the best. Its advanced technology means that the Vitamin C is protected as it travels through the digestive system. Liposomal delivery improves absorption and that is what we need. Somega is one of a number of new Liposomal products on the market. I have tried Altrient C too which is excellent. It comes in sachets. Others need to be kept in the fridge. It is not essential to keep Somega in the fridge which is a plus.
I like the citrus flavour and though I take it straight from the spoon, it can be added to water or yogurt. Do yourself a favour, do some research and get yourself a good Vitamin C supplement like Somega. It will provide many benefits for your health.
Stay safe my friends.